Tuesday, February 1, 2011

RR - "The Bothersome Beauty of Pigeons"

After reading this essay, had I not already chosen a topic for my research this semester, I think I would have chosen something that relates closely to a personal experience of mine. It is apparent that Ballenger has had numerous encounters with pigeons, likely inspiring his curiosity, and being an avid member of an English department, likely led to the coming of this article. I can imagine that when there is a personal investment behind the piece being written it is not only a smoother and perhaps easier process, but also a more fulfilling experience. Nevertheless, I have chosen a topic of great interest to me. Yet, I can't help wonder how this semester could be different with a topic in which I have a deeper personal connection or investment. 

Despite the incorporation of personal stories and experiences, Ballenger never fulfilled my desire to know his true opinion of pigeons. There was a constant pull between liking them and hating them. Though this all-encompassing approach was interesting, I found myself feeling a little frustrated in how he only ever alluded to his opinion, which of course was both hating and loving the birds at different times and for different reasons. Regardless, overall I liked his approach in validating both sides while involving the audience in what ultimately felt more like a story than a research essay. 

1 comment: