Saturday, January 29, 2011

RR - Polygamy in America

What made this article most readable, despite the curiosity of one at such an 'unknown' topic, was the author's ability to write the piece without presenting his bias. I know from personal experience how difficult this can be, and I can only imagine the added difficulty brought about by the controversy of such a topic. I feel it is safe to assume that everyone has a strong opinion on religion, let along polygamy. Yet, in refraining from showing any bias, Scott Anderson was able to present the information in a captivating way. It was almost as though he was narrating the story of many peoples' lives. I find his use of language and incorporation of personal stories and opinions from FLDS members to be more than fitting for what I believe to be his purpose in writing this article. I also feel this article to be an appropriate example of when not to use "I" in a research paper. I'm glad to be free of Anderson's opinion as I feel it is almost irrelevant to the piece and would therefore become a distraction or annoyance. Overall, I feel the piece was extremely well written and very captivating as it was indeed still a research paper (which many people dread).

1 comment:

  1. I really appreciate your attention to craft over content in this response, Lianne. I know that it can often be difficult to sidestep opinion (as you observe in this response) when looking at a controversial topic, but it looks as though you found a way to avoid it, just as Anderson did. I find your writing both thoughtful and interesting, and I'm interested to see your developing project throughout this semester.

    ReplyDelete